Felinexpress Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Feline Forums > Kitten Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new kitten wont let me touch her

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new kitten wont let me touch her
    Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 12:16pm
hi, i got a kitten about 10 days ago now. She is 8 weeks old, is eating solid food and is very active. the only problem is she will not allow me touch her. she will feed from my hand but if i move my hand towards her she will hiss and scratch. i did manage to catch her a few days ago and she was quite content to sit in my arms and be rubbed but once i let her go again, the same thing started, hissing and spitting when i tried to rub her. not sure what to do now?
scratch View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 4:56pm
Honestly, just ignore her. Feed her on schedule and stick to it, scoop her litter pans (she should have two of them) on a schedule, playtime with a wand toy nekoflies is excellent on a schedule. Let her adjust to you slowly don't push her to want to be petted and held or you might get bit. She has been unsocialized and she looks at you as her preymate, not playmate.  It's common for kittens who have been taken away from mom early to be like this. Just give her time-
DanielCasey25 View Drop Down
Acquaintance
Acquaintance

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielCasey25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 6:17am
You should train you kitten to ensure that she will never react badly when touched. Begin the training exercises when your kitten is relaxed. Start off by handling your kitten in ways that it already finds pleasurable. As the exercise proceeds, the stroking, touching and petting should become more vigorous and include more of the kitten's body. Work slowly and gradually increase the area of the cat's body that is touched.
scratch View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 6:03am
Your post Daniel, however doesn't work in all situtions especially with a stray kitten unused to being touched. If a kitten hasn't been touched by human hands by the time it is five days old, it probably won't be touched by anyone for a long time. This makes the human touch feel strange to the kitten and if you persist in petting or holding a scared kitten, you could get scratched or bit even end up in the hospital ER.

DanielCasey25 View Drop Down
Acquaintance
Acquaintance

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielCasey25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 12:47am
Scratch..It could take some time. She can be a bit scared because of new environment and the size of hand. Just give her time to get used to you.

Edited by DanielCasey25 - 22 Mar 2012 at 12:49am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic