Felinexpress Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Feline Forums > Kitten Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Abandoned kittens

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfire82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Abandoned kittens
    Posted: 24 May 2011 at 3:09pm
I have a mother cat inside my home with 4 (5 week old) kittens. I recently got two abandoned kittens that seem to be 3-4 weeks old. They do decently at eating completely moist catfood and kitten formula on their own. I have introduced them to the other kittens and they get along fine but the queen(mother) gets frustrated with them and hisses and swats them. She has actually let them nurse on her as long as I love on her to distract her. I'm just too afraid to leave them alone with her. 

Will it be best to keep trying to get queen to accept the abandoned kittens or should I raise them seperately by hand? I'm at a loss on what to do and only want whats best for all of them. Please help.
scratch View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 6:32am
If they are eating on their own it is best to keep them away from the younger kittens until they are doing the same. The Queen is protecting her young which is instinct, and though she probably won't kill the resident kittens, she might do them some harm. You want to keep mom's stress level low or you may find out she will harm her own litter.

Let the older kittens have their own space in the house and keep mom and kitties in one room. Once the kittens are weaned and mom is spayed- then let the kittens together this will indeed take pressure off the mom.

Thanks for saving these babies, but yes, keep them apart for now.
3catsn1dog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3catsn1dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 4:47pm
I found 3 kittens in a box and brought them and have been caring for them/keeping them in my garage.  Can I/should I be able to bring them into the house with my other 3 grown cats, 2 females, one male, all fixed?  If so, when should I integrate them?
scratch View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 10:11am
Any time you bring a new cat or kittens into your home, you need to keep them separated from the other resident cats. They should all go to the vet first and be tested for all the bad stuff and then if they check out healthy, bring them inside and put them into a room by themselves. You have to give everyone a chance to adjust to new scents and activity and that can take anywhere from two weeks to a couple of months.

Remember that if you bring more cats into an established home you upset that routine of those cats and stress can occur which causes health issues. Cats aren't like people, you can't just put them all into the same area and expect them to get along. You also have to set up the house to accomodate more cats- more litter pans, scratching posts, condos, places where the cats can get off the floor when they feel stressed. Not doing this properly, opens your home to becoming a territorial battlefield with spraying being the main weapon of choice.

Edited by scratch - 26 May 2011 at 10:13am
Carla Butler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carla Butler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 11:14am
do cats also spray if hteir routine is upset    like i used to leave cats out in and out until the chickens arrived in the back   and dessie was spraying more than once     so now i let him out at evening   i nthe gardens   and he comes in at morning and he does not do spraying as such   see i have an old frontdoor and he was spraying at it   and i just wash it now   and the frontdoor has to be replaced anywhay   but do you think   spraying because he could not be let out   his routine upset   he does get wild with the girls   see i got those female kittens  and i have a lot of females now   so he keeps running now arfter them at times   dessie is still young maybe 1 year now   but do you think htat is the spraying   all the females and he gets stress3ed and sprays  i do not really mind the spraying now as if i do self atering   and move out   once the frontdoor is goine and dessie in his new house which would have an garden as many houses have a garden the smell be gone  and the bed   i took the material off it and just have an rubbisbag at the side of the bed as cats when underneat the bed made an hole in it  when they arrived first   so they like the hiding place and now they play undeneath it    see i have a catminded house   so now he sprays at the rubbishbag i have at the side and a catlitterbox tray underneath the plastic bag   kinda funny   but he sprays at that and i just replace hte bags     the bin   i ahve an rubbidxh bag against the wal and the bin he sprays on   so i jsut wash that     i have rubbisbags in the kitchewn window sill undernath the kitchen blind   os kinda funny if people came but dessie just sprays at it   so he is not really doing any damage   but i think becausew there is a lot of females   he is stressed they run away    and so jasper the friendly new black cat thrown at my door justr sprays over dessie spraying   i kinda studying the cats      see i can not leave them out during hte day as there are chickens    butg they do not really do any harm   as things can be washed   i took the material of the couch as it was old and havae rubbishbags at the sides and he just sprays at the rubbish bags   so if anyone has a wall or something   maybe put a rubbishbag at it aned a tray underneat so the liquid goes on the tray
scratch View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 7:57am
Cats spray for a lot of different reasons- they spray because they are marking their territory, they could be stressed, they could be sick. Their might be a female in heat nearby and he will spray to tell the other tomcats to back off or he may spray to tell the female where he is located.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carla Butler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 8:39am
hi

i had several female kittens in heat    and 1 is still not neutured as she was the black kittgen a friend found and she survived   she was very ill     now she can be netuured  but all females have been in heat     i never knew he was spraying   as i thought cats do not spray after netuuring   but i really do not mind   not sick cats     he was used to go out now and then   very safe area   and now i let him out again sometimes at evening    but jasper sprays over him now and runs indeed after all the females   in the house     and now lucky is spraying but not running after the females   i think it is  a male thing    see i protected everything wiht rubbish bags   and the frontdoor has to go anyway    it is interesting to study cats and the things they do    htey all like each other    jasper now also goes out sometimes as he was thrown at my door but now vacinated and neutured    and he already had been in the street that night he arrived    i do not mind really   as when i have done up the house in november    i go to move to a house with a garden    and make a cat enclosure  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carla Butler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 10:19am
well   i do have a black female   not neutured yet     as i did a few cats and kittens outside    these will not make kittens again and some rehomed in hte last few months    but i never neutured her as yet  see the spraying is fine to me  as long as i know where they spray    and the cats and ktitens had great fun   using hte things they now spray on.     so two more cats     the church cats i can not do as the men keeps feeding and we can not go into his garden.  even though he gives permission    i do not let a trap overnight in his garden   htis was last januari   in the snow and freezing conditions he wanted me to set hte trap overnight   he is alwyas on the go    so he does not like people ringing hte bell   and in the church a crazy woman comes out throwing catfood around hte trap    boycotting    she has a cat too    and loves bringing kittens to the vet for rehoming   and the sick kittens to be put to sleep     neuturing the cat    oh no     but hte male cat is getting old   and medical care nobody does      so no hope   as if i take a ktiten    and rehome   i neuture vaccinate and bloodtest the ktiten    so each kitten   150 and up    as some have bad teeth   no good food      so for that money???i can neuture a few male cats    a male cat is 14 euro on a voucher   and even though i hate to think the cats in the church are getting kittens again and have already     there are cats all over kilkenny     and for the 150 up    i can do lots of male cats   as i only keep bringing kittens to the vet     which i love    i rehome them    but the money caters for a lot of female cats elsewhere who also get ktitens    so i ahve made a decision     no female cats in hte church i will neture anymore   the mommy cat   has a female ktiten   from last year   i could not get her off the men   and a boy kitten    htere is a new female tabby cat young    is owned   now having kittens i think     and the old lady female    they will keep getting kittens    so i took two abandoned kittens from mommy from my husbands area      they also need rehoming and nobody will feed in this area    so i save money that way    on chicken mackerel and tuna    so mluch money on food     and in this area where my husband lioves   nobody feeds and i have a cat in a second   no cats now    the fathercat    82  for neuturing and bloodtesting to see if kittens were healthy   see    male cats all over hte place   so if htat street likes kittens   let them have it   as if i do different streets    no kittens born in those streets     for 4 kittens i pay over 700   to the vet   and mommy is still not neutured   and the men from the apartments   needs to be teached a lesson   and the lady with the chickens   i have to keep cats in for chickens   she is new in the streeet and does not like cats in her garden renting     so let them hafve kittens     they say i owe all the cats in the street   nutters    i came rfor noth to have ktitens    invading the gardens    well next year there be many as two litters are now black   daddy was black and knocked down     so these ktitens will mulktiply and next year they know why i neture      so patethic   mommy is 22 euro    ktitens lsat year   700 asnd up    and now two new litters       there is a tabby and a white still on our side walking    i will neturue those     but htechurch   will alwyas havae kittens   unless the males   2 from the church   come my direction and there is a black female too from a men   who has the sick cat    see  i love to neuture cats     so now i have decided    to do cats in different streets   as they make kitens too   so if the street loves ktitens    let them have them

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carla Butler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 10:22am
the two tabby kittens are so lovely and cute     ready to go in a few weeks      they are so lovely and are doing fine    htey ae now in their fifth week     they were underweight    so i use clinicat and a little bit of ktiten food they get      so the clinicat says    100 ml of kittenmilk   including hte water you add     and if they aser underfed    last week   mommy was not able anyumore to probide the milk    she was exhausted fromk al lthe kittens and crossing htye street to other kittens     2   in an old lady garden.   if it says 100 ml      the vet said last week to give as much as they want    so i did    and i also had to give some kittenfood they said    but how much kitten food do you give???i jsut give until they leave some    see   i gav htem first last week a little kitten soft whiskas   first   and tehn i did the milk    and then i gave more    until every time they stopped   so they got plenty    but how much food or milk should you give a ktiten that was underfed   they wesre feeling the bones on one    they are now superfine      so how much should they have in liquid  for not to be over fed
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic