Felinexpress Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > Commonly Asked Questions > Cat Questions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My cat  is hiding under my bed and won't come out!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My cat is hiding under my bed and won't come out!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My cat is hiding under my bed and won't come out!
    Posted: 19 Jul 2006 at 9:29pm
Depending on how long you have had this cat, the answer to this can vary.

If the cat is brand new, she is scared and in hiding until she gets used to the sounds and smells of her new home. Provide her with food, water and litter pans in the same room as she is hiding in, but don't pull her out of hiding unless you suspect she is ill.

If she is your resident cat, then she could be ill. If she continues hiding over twelve hours, get her to the vet for a check.

She could also be hiding because something scared her, or you changed something in her routine. Added a new person or animal to her home, rearranged the furniture, or did something else that she wasn't accustomed to.

If there is a stray cat outside, she could be hiding from him.

If she has been vet-checked and comes through with flying colors, just ignore her. Set up a schedule and keep to it. Feed her and give her fresh water and litter all at the same time(s) every day. Put the food bowls, water dish and litter pans in the same place every time. Don't push the food bowls under the bed, feed on a flat plate, canned and dry food and leave them just outside the furniture that she is hiding under.

Sit on the floor and read to her. Talk to her, and when you leave deposit a meaty snack right where your imprint was on the carpet. 

If she comes out, don't meet her eyes, don't even acknowledge her. Cats hate to be ignored, and this is the quickest way they will relax in a new place, once the pressure is off the cat comes out of hiding.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic