Felinexpress Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > Commonly Asked Questions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Introducing a third cat to my two cats. Help!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Introducing a third cat to my two cats. Help!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shopgirlprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Introducing a third cat to my two cats. Help!!!!
    Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 7:28am
My two indoor cats get along great. They'll sleep together and lick each other. One is male (dominant persian/maine coon mix) and the other is a petite female kitty. I got them at separate times. My dominant male acted lonely so we brought in the female kitty after one year. He had to get used to her but they love each other now. Everything is great. Then came along a stray female after 3 years. She was not being fed if someone owned her so we started feeding her outside & eventually took her to the vet. We've had her for 4 months now. My male cat will hunt her and keep her hostage in our guest bathroom where the litter box is. It doesn't matter if the litter box is in the open or not. We've only had 1-2 potty incidents. When there's a standoff we just here growling...it's more like a inner wine and we can't tell who is doing it. The tiptoeing begins but usually know fighting, but we do get the fights a couple times a week. At any given time, the new cat will be eating fairly close side by side to my dominate male or female cat. So at times it seems they are getting along and other times not. I'll come home and they'll all be happily sleeping.

Well this morning, the new stray and my female cat were getting ready to eat together (I feed those two in my bathroom with me as I get dresed). My female cat had not come in yet but the new stray got done and was walking out. Both cats on opposite sides of my bedroom. Well the new stray attacked my female cat out of the blue and they rolled and faught for quite a few seconds. There have been no problems really between these two except my female will just hiss if the new stray gets close.

What do I do? I don't want stress with my two cats. If this new cat can't acclimate into the pack, should I give her up to adoption or find a new home. I feel awful about taking her in and now this. I was VERY upset when she attacked my female kitty. Which has led me to this forum.

Any help is MUCH appreciated.
scratch View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 9:32pm
You should have one litter pan per cat and one extra pan as well. These should not be placed together, but in other strategic locations in your home. Someplace where the cat that is using the pan if she is attacked can escape quickly. That will help out quite a bit.

Invest in Feliway Comfort Zone Roof Diffusers and plug them in, especially in the room where the conflicts are happening.

Provide other places for the cats to get off the floor and away from each other. Cat ramps, condos, clear off the top of your refrigerator, or a shelf and provide places of various height for your cats.

Feed them all at the same time, but put something between them as they eat. If you feed in the kitchen, feed under the dining room table and then behind or near another cabinet so when they eat they don't see each other. Make sure each cat has it's own saucer- don't feed in bowls. Cats who bump their whiskers everytime they eat tend to get cranky and pick food fights. Flat plates work best.

Don't bring anymore cats into the home. We always try to outhink our cats and put human emotions there- perhaps your cat wasn't really lonely, just adjusting to his life and then it was suddenly changed. In the wild, cats choose who they want to hang around with and when they are brought indoors, this choice is taken from them and they are at the mercy of what we feel they need. There will always be another cat needing a home- but overcrowding causes stress, spraying, health issues and can lead to substantial vet debt.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic